The Research Programme in Human Capital promotes the analysis of any topic related to the education and training of individuals. Specifically, it fosters the analysis of education systems and education and training policies from an economic perspective. As such, it has the following objectives:
- To develop a research program in the Economics of Education.
- To maintain a permanent research group.
- To promote the mobility of researchers – encouraging researchers in our team to visit centres abroad as well as inviting international experts to visit our group.
- To organize meetings to examine questions related to the Research Group’s field of study – specifically meetings of an academic nature, but also those aimed at disseminating knowledge to society as a whole.
- To promote the publication of the research conducted by members of the Group as IEB Working Papers (and other scholarly publications).
Achieving these objectives should ensure the Group achieves academic and social recognition, something that its members already enjoy as members of Consolidated Research Groups of the Government of Catalonia and thanks to their participation in a range of competitive research projects.
The group is led by researcher J. Oriol Escardíbul.
Within the Economics of Education, the main research areas of the Human Capital Research Group are:
- Evaluation of education and training policies
- Analysis of the non-university education system
- Analysis of the university education system
- Monetary effects of education
- Education and economic growth
- Non-monetary effects of education
- Study of the international assessments of the skills of the young (PISA) and adult populations (PIAAC)
- Education and Equality
- Analysis of the inclusion of the disabled in the education system
- Lifelong learning
- Study of the work and training histories of the least skilled members of the population